Target e-Mentor Program
(Objectives, Goals, and Procedures)
· Provide students with information about the workplace and careers;
· Provide friendship and motivation;
· Assist teachers in helping students meet state graduation standards.
· For students to understand the relationship between learning and work;
· For students to interact with a business professional and gain exposure to careers;
· For students to gain a sense of support and motivation by developing a relationship with a caring adult interested in the student’s success and achievement;
· For students to gain skills to interact positively with others;
· For team members to provide an opportunity to undertake community service.
· Every Monday, mentors will receive an e-mail from Shirley Poelstra, the Career Experience Coordinator at Edison. The email will have important school information – along with the question for the week.
· Every Monday, students will send an e-mail to their mentor (if absent Monday – will send e-mail on Tuesday or as soon as student returns to school);
· If mentors have not heard from their student by 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, they will e-mail Michael.Iacarella@mpls.k12.mn.us and CC their team leader.
· Once the mentor hears from the student, they will have until Monday @ 8:00 a.m. to reply. If students have not heard from their mentor by Monday morning, they will email Shirley.Poelstra@mpls.k12.mn.us. She will in turn email the mentor and CC the team leader.
· First e-mail sent will be an exchange of personal information. Mentors will also include information about their job responsibilities.
· Remaining e-mails will consist of: (1) students replying to the mentors answer; (2) sharing personal information about themselves and school; and (3) asking the mentors the question for the week and any other question they may have.
Questions, email manager, Shirley.Poelstra@mpls.k12.mn.us
700 22nd Ave NE Minneapolis, MN 55418
Telephone: 612.668.1300 | Fax: 612.668.1320