MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact

Help with Taxes

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be done beginning October 1 of your senior year.  There has been a change recently in the year of the taxes that are used to complete the FAFSA.  The taxes from two years prior to your first year of college will be used to complete the FAFSA.  For example, if you are applying for financial aid for the 2017-18 college school year, starting college in September 2017, you will complete the FAFSA with the 2015 taxes. 

For locations go to the following website:

Free Tax Preparation: What should I bring with me? 
Social Security numbers for you, your spouse, and all your dependents
Last year’s tax returns (if you did it)
Alimony received
Unemployment income statements
Social Security income statements
Any other income statements
Tuition payments and student loan interest payments
IRA contributions (Retirement Contributions)
Receipts or listings of itemized expenses, such as:
Out-of-pocket medical expenses
Non-cash donations
Cash donations
Vehicle license tabs
Property taxes paid
Job-related moving expenses
Mortgage interest paid
Tax preparation fees
Uniform costs
Daycare expenses – name, address, and Social Security number or EIN for each provider paid.
Receipts for the Minnesota K-12 Education credit
Property Tax Refund documents
CRPs (Certifi cate of Rent Paid from your landlord)
Property tax statements
For direct deposit/direct debit, bring your checkbook to verify your bank account and routing information.